- 4 Minutes to read
- 4 Minutes to read
Optionally, survey the source file server to discover which shares to migrate.
To discover which shares to migrate:
In the Configuration view, select Main > Dashboard in the navigation pane.
The Dashboard page is displayed.
Click File Server Migration.
The File Serve Migration Dashboard page is displayed.
Click + to create a new job.
The Create Discovery Job wizard is displayed showing the Task Type step.
The default job is a Discovery job. This job analyzes the file server that is being replaced to identify what data should be migrated.
The Connect step is displayed.
Select the server type to connect to from the drop-down box. You can connect to one of the following:
- Azure StorSimple
- HCP Gateway
- Hitachi Data Ingestor
- Isilon OneFS
- Microsoft Azure Files
- Nasuni Edge Appliance
- NetApp ONTAP
- NetAPP StorageGRID 9 (SMB)
- NetAPP StorageGRID 11 (SMB)
- Panzura Freedom Filer
- Windows Server
Another option, Other, is available to attempt to migrate from a file server that is not listed.Note
You can run discovery on the edge filer itself, by selecting This Edge Filer for Server Type. When This Edge Filer is selected, the only other parameter that is displayed is the Protocol parameter; either SMB or NFS.
Select the protocol to use for the migration: SMB or NFS.
Both NFS versions 3 and 4 are supported.
The wizard window changes depending on the protocol selected.
For all server types except This Edge Filer, enter the IP address or DNS name for the source file server.
When Protocol is SMB, enter an administrator user name and password to access the server.Note
The administrator used must have access to the files to migrate.
For Microsoft Azure Files, the shares cannot be presented and have to be added manually. Expert Mode is automatically selected to enable specifying the shares in the next step.
The Select Shares step is displayed.
The shares on the file server are displayed, and you can select the shares that you want to migrate to the CTERA Edge Filer.Note
When Expert Mode is selected, the following window is displayed where you enter the shares to migrate.
Select the shares to migrate and click Next.
Optionally, provide a different name for the job and any specific notes about the job.
The discovery job runs and the results are displayed in the Dashboard.
The Dashboard After a Discovery Run
After analyzing the file server, the job completes and you get a report as well as a full analysis of each share in the filer server that you selected.
Log files and discovery file lists generated by the migration are compressed if they are greater than 100MB.
- Click the icon to edit the discovery job name and notes.
- Click the icon to display the discovery report.
- Click the icon to display the list of every time this job was run and rerun with the results of each run. The Task Details can also be accessed by clicking Details in the discovery report.
- Click the icon to rerun the discovery.
The discovery job reruns.
- Optionally, in the dashboard, you can select a job and click the icon to delete the job.
After deleting a job, you can display all the jobs, including the deleted jobs, by clicking the Deleted filter in the dashboard.
You can restore deleted jobs by selecting the deleted jobs to restore and clicking the icon.
The Discovery Report
Clicking the icon displays the discovery report.
A report when Log Every File (Verbose Logging) was checked (the default):
If there are no errors, the Error Logs column is not displayed.
A report when Log Every File (Verbose Logging) was not checked:
At the top of the report, the sum of the information for the migrated shares is displayed. Optionally, click the icon to download the discovery report as a .csv file.
The first pane in the discovery report shows the list of shares with details of each share:
- The number of folders in the selected shares.
- The number of files in the selected shares.
- The size of the selected shares.
- The status of the migration for the selected shares.
- If Log Every File (Verbose Logging) was checked, optionally for each share, click the icon to download the discovery report for the share as a .csv file.
- Any errors in the discovery job are written to a separate log, under
/errorlog. Each share with an error has a separate log file. Clicking the icon downloads the log file as a .csv file.
The second pane in the discovery report has tabs showing the following:
- Files – A pie chart with the sizes of the files in the selected shares.
- Last Access – A bar chart showing when the files in the selected shares were last accessed.
- Last Modified – A bar chart showing when the files in the selected shares were last modified.
- File Types – The list of the file types in the selected shares.
You can display this information either By Count, for example, the number of each file type, or By Size, for example, the size of each file type.
- Click Details to display the list of every time this job was run and rerun with the results of each run.
- Click Close to return to the Dashboard.