- 09 Jun 2022
- 2 Minutes to read
- Updated on 09 Jun 2022
- 2 Minutes to read
To set up the CTERA Edge Filer:
- For ESXi management, connect an Ethernet cable to the leftmost 1GbE Ethernet port, next to the iLO port, at the back of the CTERA Edge Filer.
- For the CTERA Edge Filer storage, connect an Ethernet cable to the rightmost 10GbE Ethernet port, or fiber port, at the back of the CTERA Edge Filer. The CTERA Edge Filer is shipped with both copper and fiber connections.Note
The back of the CTERA Edge Filer models with both copper and fiber:
- Connect a monitor to the back of the CTERA Edge Filer via the VGA port.
- Connect the CTERA Edge Filer to power using a provided power supply cable in one of the AC power input sockets.
The CTERA Edge Filer automatically starts up. After the startup finishes, the ESXi server management IP address is displayed.
- Record the ESXi server management IP address for use to configure the CTERA Edge Filer IP address.
Configuring the CTERA Edge Filer IP
You access the VMware Host Client to get the CTERA Edge Filer IP address. You can access the VMware Host Client from any computer with LAN access.
The ESXi hypervisor cannot be managed in a VMware vCenter.
To get the CTERA Edge Filer IP address:
- In any browser enter the ESXi server management IP address to open the VMware Host Client.
- On first access, change the password.
- Click the down arrow to the right of the root user and select Change password.
- In the Change password window that is displayed, enter the new password, confirm it and click Change password.
- Under Virtual Machines in the left-hand navigation pane, right-click the CTERA Edge Filer virtual machine and select Console > Open browser console from the popup menu.
The following login screen is displayed:
- Login in with the username setup and no password, as instructed.
The console is displayed.
The console might have other options.
Using DHCP, after a few seconds the IP address to access the CTERA Edge Filer in a browser is displayed in the top right of the console.
To set a static IP address:
- Click in the console to transfer the keyboard control to the console and, if necessary, use the arrow keys to scroll to Network settings.
- Press Enter.
- Select Static IP mode and press OK.
- Complete the configuration for static mode by entering the static IP, netmask, default CTERA Edge Filer IP and the primary and secondary DNS server IPs.
- Press OK.
After setting up the CTERA Edge Filer, you perform an initial configuration, described in First Time Setup.