- 13 Jul 2023
- 1 Minute to read
- Updated on 13 Jul 2023
- 1 Minute to read
To set up the CTERA Edge Filer:
- Connect the ends of the Ethernet cables to the Ethernet ports, Gb1 and Gb2, at the back of the CTERA Edge Filer and connect the other ends to your Ethernet LAN switch.
- Connect a monitor to the back of the CTERA Edge Filer via the VGA port.
- Connect the CTERA Edge Filer to power using the provided power supply cable in the AC power input socket.
The CTERA Edge Filer automatically starts up. After the startup finishes, the ESXi server management IP address is displayed.
- Record the ESXi server management IP address for use to configure the CTERA Edge Filer IP address.
Configuring the CTERA Edge Filer IP
You access the VMware Host Client to get the CTERA Edge Filer IP address. You can access the VMware Host Client from any computer with LAN access.
The ESXi hypervisor cannot be managed in a VMware vCenter.
To get the CTERA Edge Filer IP address:
- In any browser enter the ESXi server management IP address to open the VMware Host Client.
- On first access, change the password.
- Click the down arrow to the right of the root user and select Change password.
- In the Change password window that is displayed, enter the new password, confirm it and click Change password.
- Under Virtual Machines in the left-hand navigation pane, right-click the CTERA Edge Filer virtual machine and select Console > Open browser console from the popup menu.
The following login screen is displayed:
- Login in with the username setup and no password, as instructed.
The console is displayed.
The console might have other options.
Using DHCP, after a few seconds the IP address to access the CTERA Edge Filer in a browser is displayed in the top right of the console.
To set a static IP address:
- Click in the console to transfer the keyboard control to the console and, if necessary, use the arrow keys to scroll to Network settings.
- Press Enter.
- Select Static IP mode and press OK.
- Complete the configuration for static mode by entering the static IP, netmask, default CTERA Edge Filer IP and the primary and secondary DNS server IPs.
- Press OK.
After setting up the CTERA Edge Filer, you perform an initial configuration, described in First Time Setup.