- 13 Dec 2022
- 6 Minutes to read
Managing the CTERA Portal License
- Updated on 13 Dec 2022
- 6 Minutes to read
The CTERA Portal license limits the number of CTERA Edge Filer licenses, CTERA Workstation Backup licenses, CTERA Server Agent licenses, and Cloud Drive licenses, that can be provisioned throughout the CTERA Portal.
The CTERA Portal includes a 30-day evaluation license that includes the following:
- Unlimited storage
- Unlimited CTERA Workstation Backup licenses
- Unlimited CTERA Server Agent licenses
- A Cloud Drive license.
Once the trial license has expired, or if you require additional licensing, you must install a new license key. Also, a CTERA Portal with a trial license cannot be upgraded to a newer version.
During the configuration of the primary server, for a production environment, you should should have replaced the trial license, as described in Installing the Portal License.
When a CTERA Portal license is about to expire, notifications appear on the notifications page of portal's administration interface, and emails are sent to the portal administrators. If the CTERA Portal license expires, the portal continues to function but adding new devices is disabled.
How the CTERA Portal License Works
The CTERA Portal license specifies license quotas for each of the following:
- CTERA Portal License
The amount of storage allowed, in blocks of 50TB.
The storage considered towards the licensed storage allowed is the data existing in the current snapshot for all cloud and backup folders before deduplication and compression.
- CTERA Edge Filer licenses
The number of CTERA Edge Filer licenses that can be provisioned. A CTERA Edge Filer license is consumed by a CTERA Virtual Gateway, H-Series or X-Series gateway connected to a CTERA Portal user account.
- CTERA Drive Server (or Server Agent) Licenses
The number of CTERA Drive Server licenses that can be provisioned. A CTERA Drive Server license applies to a CTERA Agent installed on a Windows or Linux server.
- CTERA Drive Protect (or Workstation Backup) Licenses
The number of CTERA Drive Protect licenses that can be provisioned. A CTERA Drive Protect license allows Cloud Backup of a single desktop or laptop machine.Note
The CTERA Drive Protect license includes the Cloud Backup Service only. For file sync and share services, a Cloud Drive license is required.
- CTERA Cloud Drive Licenses
The number of Cloud Drive licenses that can be provisioned. Each CTERA Cloud Drive license enables use of the Cloud Drive service for a single user account.
- CTERA Cloud Drive Connect Licenses
The number of Cloud Drive Connect licenses that can be provisioned. This license is a subset of the full Cloud Drive license and entitles a user per license to access the portal without full sync and share capabilities. This is useful for users who do not need to collaborate on shared documents and folders with other users, for VDI users, for mobile users, and for access after an edge filer disaster (disaster recovery).
The license is subdivided when you allocate quotas to virtual portals, by assigning the virtual portals to global plans and add-ons. For example, if the CTERA Portal license includes 20 Edge filer licenses, 20 workstation backup licenses, 20 server agent licenses, and 20 cloud drive licenses, and there are two virtual portals, you may choose to allocate half of the Virtual Gateway, workstation backup, server agent, and cloud drive quotas to each virtual portal. In this case, each virtual portal is allocated quotas for 10 Virtual Gateways, 10 workstation backups, 10 server agents, and 10 cloud drives.
With each virtual portal, the CTERA Portal license can be further subdivided, when quotas are allocated to user accounts via plans and add-ons. For example, if a virtual portal is allocated quotas for 10 Virtual Gateways, 10 workstation backups, 10 server agents, and 10 cloud drives, and there are up to ten user accounts, the reseller portal owner may choose to define a plan that includes quotas for 1 Virtual Gateway, 1 workstation backup, 1 server agent, and 1 cloud drive. These quotas are then allocated to the user accounts in the virtual portal. The following figure shows an example of what a CTERA Portal license might include and how its quotas might be divided.
Team Portals and Reseller Portal Licenses
Licenses are consumed in team portals and reseller portals in different ways:
Team Portals – Licenses provisioned to a specific team portal, except for storage, are immediately consumed from the portal license. You can oversubscribe team portal storage and storage is consumed from the license limit as it is actually used up to the license limit. Within the team portal you can optionally limit how many licenses or storage each user can consume, by assigning a plan to the user.
The number of licenses in use must be less than or equal to the number provisioned for the team portal. The number provisioned for the team portal is the limit for that portal.
Reseller Portals – You can optionally define a limit on the number of licenses and amount of storage consumed by each reseller portal, by assigning global plans and add-ons to the portal. However at this stage, no portal licenses are consumed. Portal licenses are consumed only when specific users within the reseller portal are provisioned with licenses.
The number of licenses in use must be less than or equal to the number provisioned for a reseller portal. The number provisioned for the portal cannot be more than the limit for that portal, where the number of provisioned licenses is the amount allocated via plans and addons to portal users and the limit is the reseller portal quota.
Viewing CTERA Portal License Information
To view CTERA Portal license information:
In the global administration view, select Settings > License in the navigation pane.
The MANAGE LICENSES page is displayed.
The following information is displayed for each license:
KEY– The license key.
LICENSES – The license details.
- Antivirus – The license includes the antivirus service.
- DLP – The license includes the data loss prevention service.
- Portal – The portal license is operational or not.
- Cloud Drive – The number of cloud drive licenses included in the license key. Cloud drive licenses are per portal user. There is no limit to the number of workstation agents that can synchronize to each user's cloud drive.
- Cloud Drive Connect – The number of cloud drive connect licenses included in the license key.
- EV4 – The number of EV4 CTERA Edge Filer licenses included in the license key. You cannot define more than this number of edge filers with an EV4 license in the portal.
- EV8 – The number of EV8 CTERA Edge Filer licenses included in the license key. You cannot define more than this number of edge filers with an EV8 license in the portal.
- EV16 – The number of EV16 CTERA Edge Filer licenses included in the license key. You cannot define more than this number of edge filers with an EV16 license in the portal.
- EV32 – The number of EV32 CTERA Edge Filer licenses included in the license key. You cannot define more than this number of edge filers with an EV32 license in the portal.
- EV64 – The number of EV64 CTERA Edge Filer licenses included in the license key. You cannot define more than this number of edge filers with an EV64 license in the portal.
- EV128 – The number of EV128 CTERA Edge Filer licenses included in the license key. You cannot define more than this number of edge filers with an EV128 license in the portal.
- EV256 – The number of EV256 CTERA Edge Filer licenses included in the license key. You cannot define more than this number of edge filers with an EV256 license in the portal. * Server Agent – The number of server agent (Cloud Driver Server) licenses included in the license key.
- Workstation Backup – The number of workstation agent backup (Cloud Drive Protect) licenses included in the license key. This is the maximum number of workstation agents running the Cloud Backup service that you can connect to the portal. Workstation agents using Cloud Drive synchronization but not using Cloud Backup do not consume these licenses.
STATUS – The license key's status.
- OK – The license is current.
- Expired on date – The license expired on the specified date.
- Expires in X days – The license will expire X days from now.
COMMENTS – Any comment about the license key.