- Log in to the VMware Host Client for the H-series ESXi.
- Right-click Host in the navigation pane and select Services > Enable Secure Shell (SSH).
- Using an SSH tool such as PuTTY, log on to the ESXi host.
- Enter the user and password that you used to access VMware Host Client.
- Change the directory to /opt/hp/tools or /opt/tools.
- Use vi to open a file called pwreset.xml.
- Press i to switch to insert mode and enter the following:
<LOGIN USER_LOGIN="Administrator" PASSWORD="unknown">
where new_password is the new password you want to use to access iLO.
- Press ESC and then :wq at the bottom of the editor and press Enter to save the file and quit vi.
- Enter the following command to reset the password: ./hponcfg -f pwreset.xml.
The iLO password is changed to new_password.
- Quit the SSH session.
- In the VMware Host Client right-click Host in the navigation pane and select Services > Disable Secure Shell (SSH).